Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"If I could write a letter to me..."


I was driving kids to school this morning and one of my current favorite songs came on the radio..."If I could write a letter to me..." by Brad Paisley. This particular song has gotten me thinking on many occasions..."What advice would I give my seventeen year old self...exactly seventeen years later?"

Well, you can imagine there are probably A LOT of things...most I won't write here because mom is reading this...some things are just better left unsaid. :) (No worries mom...I turned out ok didn't I?)

The very first thing I would say would be PLUCK YOUR EYEBROWS!!! Changing out your hairstyle periodically wouldn't be a bad idea either. I would also say don't go to Olan Mills for your senior pictures. (This one was for you Gerb, cuz I know how much you love this picture. Sorry all for the poor quality...a high dollar scanner I don't have.)

But onto more serious, meaningful things...

I would say... your'e all right...your'e a good person and the things you think and say matter. You have talents you don't even know exist yet and you will turn out to be a good mom and wife. (No ugly kids in your future, so rest easy.)

Your life seems hard right now, feels sometimes like the world is coming to an end. But just know it will only get harder...and you will eventually be grateful for your life experiences...they will help you down the road and you will be a much better person for them.

Read your scriptures. Read your scriptures. Read your scriptures. Yes, I know seminary is waaaayyy too early and you are trying to take advantage of the time to catch up on sleep. They aren't always the easiest to understand...do it anyway. The Lord will bless you and eventually you will learn to love them. You have kids to teach the Gospel to later down the line...read your scriptures already!!

Pray...everyday...many times! Heavenly Father is just waiting to help you with your problems...but you have to approach Him...He's just a smidge busy...save Him the headache and initiate the conversation.

Go to the beach more often...you will miss it like you have no idea later on in life.

Be proud of your height...just think of it this way...you can find your way in a crowd so much easier than short people. And stand up straight, by the way!

Spend more time on your homework. Don't wait until your senior year to realize your'e pretty darn smart.

Slow down!! I know racing with Brother Dan from seminary to school is fun...but for crying out loud...your older self cringes at the thought of the chances you took...well, I guess you made it to now, so what the heck...carry on...it will be one of your favorite memories!!

Listen to your parents...yes, I know...you are already tuning me out on that one. But seriously...you have no idea yet how much wisdom they have...they know a thing or two about life, I promise.

Enjoy yourself...don't take things so seriously. Treat your family like you do your friends...I'm pretty sure they'd appreciate it.

And finally...stay close to your Father in Heaven. He can help you get through anything if you'll let Him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture mom, and when you say do something different with your hair evceryonce in a while great advice now let me do that with my hair!!! as in let me dye it please!!! :) Anna

Anonymous said...

Yep! Thats A great Song...
I want to get that song.
I remember You telling us About Racing to seminary every morning...
Just wait... Maybe I'll Get the early morning seminary next year...

Trish said...

Son, your seminary will NEVER start as early as mine did. You guys are just a little spoiled growing up in Ut. :)

Gerb said...

Trish - great post! Lots of things to think about. And I smiled immediately when I saw the picture, you hot mama.

Anna - Your hair looks great. You don't want to dye it. That's the advice you'd be sending your 14-year-old self in 14 years.

Trish said...

Gerb- I figured that photo might get a chuckle out of ya. :)