Sunday, May 11, 2008

It is so overrated!!!!


What is overrated, you ask?

The answer to that question is.........DRIVING!!!

Remember the days when we were young and impressionable? The couple of years prior to our sixteenth birthdays...the years spent being jealous of the juniors and seniors' (and the occasional older sophmores) cars parked in the school parking lot? We dreamed of the big day when we were old enough to get behind the wheel ourselves. We daydreamed of the make, model, and color our car would be...imagining our parents might actually give in and buy us that car on that magical day. Of course for most of us, that dream was quickly shattered and reality was flashed in our faces.

Reality for me was an old 1978 Ford LTD. The words Big Red and Tuna Boat readily come to mind. It was an aquired taste for sure, but eventually I loved that car...it was uglier than sin and HUGE...but I kicked you-know-what in impromtu races everywhere I went. The eight miles to the gallon pretty much sucked, but at 16 and 17 and even 18, who was worried about gas...there weren't any other bills to pay, so worry free it was!

Well, as much as I still appreciate cars and all their handy conveniences...I am so sick to death of driving I could throw up right this minute!
I have spent the better part of the last three weeks in...you guessed it...MY CAR!!!!

Gone are the days of getting excited to drive to the store for just a gallon of milk...being more than happy about picking up my younger brother from wherever...they are Gone...Caput...History...Finito!!

I knew what I signed up for when I chose to have five kids (not really, just saying that 'cause it sounds good)...but now I know what people are talking about when they say...just wait till you have older kids that can drive.

One year, eighteen days and counting! :) (I will live to regret that statement...but for now it sums it all up nicely)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

think about it mom i can almost drive!!!! just think in one year and 18 days in counting i will be able to get you that gallon of milk at midnight you always never wanted to go get
-love your soon to be taxi driver Anna

Laura said...

It was SO NICE to see you yesterday!! It totally made my day!!

And Anna...You still aren't allowed to be that old...

Trish said...

Anna...well...I just don't want to think about it just quite yet.

Yo, the feeling is totally mutual! That was for sure the highlight of my day! Lunch very soon!! :)

Unknown said...

I just started blogging and checked out yours :) This post made me laugh as I remember that big red car!!! I used to ride around in that car. That was back when sometimes you would even get a little giddy having the missionairies over for dinner in the evening - LOL. They are all such young men now, it's funny how our views change over time. I miss my friend Trisha and am having fun reading about you and your family. Take care!!!
Lani